Living Room – Before – Originally, this home was centered through an empty, unused space that looked directly at the living room , and to the right was the kitchen.
This large existing beam was not structural – it was just for show.
That slight bump-out on the wall shows where the chimney is, and just beyond this room is the original kitchen from the 1920’s!
As adorable as a 1920’s kitchen is…functional, it was not. This family was bursting at the seams trying to make their kitchen work.
The red door leads to the basement. Not how, the cabinets slant to make room for the door!
The decorative molding was cute in a grandma sort of way, but blocked light from coming in!
This space was originally the dining space, just off the kitchen. These spaces were later combined to create the new living room!
We love the windows here, and these were a key consideration when making this room a part of the entry flow.This home instantly became very personal for me because it is so much like my own home – with the 1920’s farmhouse styling and need for an upgrade while preserving the original charm. We knew coming into the space that the family wanted to move their kitchen to where the living room currently was and the dining behind it. So, we had a head start. However, we needed to fine tune the layout of these spaces and determine the best route to expanding the downstairs bathroom.Concept DevelopmentOur first step was to sketch it all out. The real challenge was the upper floor preserve three bedrooms and add a bathroom in an already small space. I lost track of how many versions I did before presenting!
We talked about moving the chimney in one option and altering the stairs.We also discussed a different approach to the stairs, bringing them up to code. One option was to change the roofline, allowing unusable space to become usable. Another option was to bump the roofline up on one side of the house only, saving a bit of money and still gaining space. Finding room for a bathroom when a roof can be bumped up is excruciatingly difficult….but….In the end, I think this was the closest to what ended up happening. Rarely is the concept what the finished design ends up looking like!We also developed an early look at materiality based on the homeowner’s personal style and the aesthetics of the home.Design DevelopmentWe homed in on the lower plan pretty quickly and begin developing the kitchen design. We had several options here too, but this was the one that landed on:YOU MAY LOOK AT THESE PHOTOS AND SAY, WAIT – I JUST LOOKED AT THE GALLERY AND SO MUCH IS DIFFERENT! MAYBE AFTER SEEING HGTV SHOWS WHERE WE LOOK AT A DRAWING AND THE DRAWING LOOKS IDENTICAL TO THE AFTER SHOT (I LOVE CANDACE OLSON, BUT HER DRAWINGS ARE MOST DEFINITELY GENERATED AFTER THE PROJECT HAS BEEN IMPLEMENTED AND USING A PHOTOGRAPH TO TRACE).While this is very much what ended up happening, several changes did still happen from here. An important thing to consider when working with a designer is that designs aren’t perfect from round #1, they are constantly changing and evolving to reflect what we learn from the owner as we go!So many steps happened in the evolution of this kitchen-zoning to ensure that the space could be used comfortable and with function and consideration for what the owner’s needed to store in each opening, heights of cabinets, working with the windows, door style, final colors, selections of appliances. I could go on forever….and that was just the kitchen. This entire home was completely renovated!During this phase, we began looking more closely at the home’s details – the ceilings upstairs and how we could raise them and align the spaces to the new shape of the ceilings.The downstairs bath ended up changing pretty tremendously from this go! Sadly, the finishes I applied didn’t look nearly as good in the rendering as they did as separate photos!Construction Documents and ImplementationThis phase tends to be less exciting because it becomes so technical, but by now we had finalized the materiality throughout and were ready to put this into what is essentially an instruction guide for the contractor to use. In this case, the contractor was the homeowner – and while I don’t typically encourage this, he did a fantastic job. Honestly, I think it was very stressful for him and his family, but they pulled it all together quite well, and were very good about continuing the conversation with us through implementation so that we could ensure that the design intent was carried through to the end.The homeowner often communicated through photos to get clarification on paint placement, lighting placement, etc.Templating for the counters is important because it ensures that everything is level, and flush to the wall, in the case of any wall or cabinet imperfections. This is also where the fabricator gets specs on the sink for the hole in the counter.This was a proud moment when stopping by to see how things were going and viewing the wonderful job on the tiles and cabinetry.Thank you Catie Bergman Photography for the wonderful shots as usual!This may have been the most satisfying project I have done to-date. Having such trust from the homeowners and feeling such design freedom led to a truly beautiful space that fit the homeowners functional and aesthetic needs. I am so proud to have played such a large role in the rediscovery of this perfect little farmhouse!Click here for the link to Rachel’s blog.